Thursday, March 29, 2012

Wednesday

She is a fighter.  She fights sleep with everything she has.  The minute her eyes close, she sits straight up defiantly.  But sleep finally won, she is napping now.  Greg has gone to get pizza hut again for lunch.  We leave in about fifty minutes to head to the orphanage.  I am thankful for this opportunity.  I am also thankful to get out of this hotel room.  At breakfast this morning, Joy was having a fit the whole time.  I tried to hold her while I ate, but that didn't work. We had to take turns holding and eating.  I think her crying is actually a good sign.  So far when she gets upset, she settles quickly by sucking on her finger and with the other hand, she scratches her wrist.  I think this is a method she has used to soothe herself in the orphanage, since she couldn't always count on a caretaker to pick her up and soothe her.  But this morning, she didn't do that.  She just kept fussing.  I hope that is because she is learning that mommy and daddy are now here to help her when she is unhappy or doesn't feel good.  I think she didn't get enough sleep last night and was miserably tired this morning.  When we came back to the room, Greg strolled her around the hotel room and she seemed to like it.  I was really surprised, since she wants to be held mostly.  My arms and back were thankful for the break. 
I wish I could have savored the moment of our first mother daughter shoe shopping experience, but the truth is she had peed and it soaked through and I was trying to hold her in a way as to not get myself more wet.  My arms and back were dying tired!
We are about to eat and head to the orphanage.  I would like to sight see more, but am so anxious when we go outside.  There are so many people and EVERYONE, EVERYONE stops and stares at us.  Some will smile and nod, but most seem to be thinking bad thoughts about us.  Also, there are so many bicycles and motorcycles and cars and people.  It is crazy and I fear for our lives.  Yesterday, I saw a little boy walking behind a cab that was driving forward and suddenly the driver started backing up and hit the boy!   The car stopped when he heard the bump and the boy was fine, but it was scary.  It must happen a lot here.  Pedestrians do not have the right away and are more like targets to the drivers.
Yesterday when we went back to the civil affairs office, we were scolded for not having enough clothes on Joy.  I feel like the people here are constantly thinking we need to have her covered more.  So, when we go out, Greg and I have on shorts and short sleeves, but we will be putting layers and heavy jacket on her (so that they let us bring her home!)

No comments:

Post a Comment